Monday, October 23, 2006

Religion Sux

A definition of religion is "a set of rules, regulations, a system of beliefs or practices," whereby mankind tries to connect with God; this describes the majority of the world's religions. For me connection with "God" is about a relationship with "The Divine" and with the rest of creation. Realtionship is not about rules and regulations but is dynamic, organic, life-giving - I prefer the term "spirituality".

For me, religion is a closed system whereas spirituality is an open system. Religion excludes, spirituality includes. Religion is about “rules”, spirituality is about “relationship”.

I find it very sad that people reject the concept of “god” because of what people do in the name of their concept of “god”. For me, “The Divine” cannot be contained or limited to and by our human and social constructs. For me it’s kinda like the story of the blind men and the elephant.

Religion sucks, but I think the world still has potential, and I believe that spirituality plays a huge role in personal and social transformation.

Many good things have also been done in the name of “god”, and I think when we begin to find “The Divine” as s/he intends and when we begin to search for “The Divine” in everything and everyone around us, we will move away from destruction towards construction, healing and wholeness – which, for me, is spirituality.

OK. Enough waffling from me. I’d love to hear more from you.

"Only by sharing what each of you knows can you possibly reach a true understanding." - Phil Shapiro

No comments: