Tuesday, December 02, 2008

a Silence and a Shouting

a Silence and a Shouting

An extract from the book by Eddie Askew
available through The Leprosy Mission
or contact TLM Trading Limited and request a catalogue
(all proceeds support The Leprosy Mission)

Books on prayer are published so often these days that to read them all would leave very little time left to pray; but I have been using one recently called It's me, O Lord by Michael Hollings and Etta Gullick. There is a description of prayer which is more of a poem and a meditation than anything else. Here it is:

"The important thing about prayer is that it is almost indefinable. You see, it is: hard and sharp, soft and loving, deep and inexpressible, shallow and repetitious, a groaning and a sighing.

"A silence and a shouting, a burst of praise digging deep down into loneliness, into me. Loving. Abandonment to despair, a soaring to heights which can be only ecstasy, dull plodding in the greyness of mediocre being - laziness, boredom, resentment.

"Questing and questioning, calm reflection, meditation, cogitation, A surprise at sudden joy, a shaft of light, a laser beam. Irritation at not understanding, impatience, pain of mind and body hardly uttered or deeply anguished.

"Being together, the stirring of love shallow, then deeper, then deepest. A breathless involvement, a meeting, a longing, a loving, an inpouring.''

Prayer is . . . resentment . . . irritation . . . impatience. Does that surprise you? It took me a long time to learn to bring my resentments to the Lord, as well as my joys and requests. Yet l think we should. Our whole lives should be, are, open to God and He knows what is there deep down. It is only by bringing our anger and irritations out into the open that He can deal with them, even direct them, for good. That is good psychology, and it is good Christian living too. And in the cleansing process comes the realization and experience of love - shallow, then deeper, and a real meeting and involvement with the Lord.

Lord, teach me to pray.

It sounds exciting, put like that.
It sounds real. An exploration.
A chance to do more than catalogue
and list the things I want,
to an eternal Father Christmas.

The chance of meeting you,
of drawing closer to the love that mode me,
and keeps me, and knows me.
And, Lord, it's only just begun.
There is so much more of you,
of love, the limitless expanse of knowing you.
I could be frightened, Lord, in this wide country.
It could be lonely, but you are here, with me.

The chance of learning about myself,
of facing up to what I am.
Admitting my resentments,
bringing my anger to you, my disappointments. my frustration.
And finding that when l do,
when I stop struggling and shouting
and let go
you are still there.
Still loving.

Sometimes, Lord, often -
I don't know know what to say to you.
But I still come, in quiet
for the comfort of two friends
sitting in silence.
And it's then. Lord, that I learn most from you.
When my mind slows down,
and my heart stops racing.
When I let go and wait in the quiet,
realizing that all the things I was going to ask for
you know already.
Then, Lord, without words,
in the stillness
you are there . . .
And l love you.

Lord, teach me to pray.

1 comment:

Tuatha of the Isles said...

The way we know praying in our church is that God says in the bible: This is the way to pray:

Our father who are in heaven.....etc

He says people should not pray loud and long?

Personally I believe one should be thankful and express our thankfulness each day, instead of complaining. Negative thought breeds negative thought and the reverse is so true.

If one is positive then its easier to be positive and you help others to be positive around you.

I also believe that you can have a personal relationship with God and that if you listen carefully he talks to you. Although few listen carefully enough.

That listening is so important to learn what God wants from us, instead of what we want from God.

Think about this. Think of all the people all over the world asking God for things they want.

Here is an example, one of many

Bob prays:
Lord God, I want to go to Malaysia tomorrow, with my wife. I want some more shoes for the world peace conference next week.

I am needing a break from all the presssures of leadership. I need to recharge my batteries so I can concentrate on my goals. My goals are to be a strong ruler. To lower the value of currency. To defeat my enemies.


?? Should Bob get this from God. Is it important for him to get this from God, despite how much he wants and needs this thing.

If Bob listens to God in silent prayer perhaps he will hear this?



Hello Bob, this is God speaking:

Bob, I am a bit worried about your and your listening and obeying capabilities. Bob what I would like for you to do today is read the 10 Commandments and make sure you are compliant with them. Its very important to me as this sets out a very good way to live. A way that I would like to see people live.

The other thing I would like you to quietly meditate on is specifically, love your neighbour, do not murder.

I also have some good proverbs that with careful understanding and application can help you and guide you in difficult situations. You will find that each time you read them you will gain a deeper insight into what I mean. Some proverbs apply to some instances and others to other instances.

Once you have a good understanding and good daily practice of my intentions for you, I think you will feel better about yourself.

You see you may decide after reading some of my stories to give away everything you own and do my work for me, rather than storing up riches on earth, have you considered storing your riches in heaven where they will be when you come to me.

I have a good story in the bible that tells of a man who clung to his riches. Someone asked my son when that man died, if he was in heaven. My son replied that this man was in hell clutching onto his riches eternally.

Bob, I see a goodness in you and I have faith that you can do much good. Bob, can you hear me?

Can you repeat after me, Bob

Our father, who are in heaven.....

Yes we can talk to God in our own way, like a conversation and tell him how we feel. I do believe we can but it is important to listen as well as talk.

Does that make any sense?