Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Spirituality of Service

Each activity of daily life in which we stretch ourselves on behalf of others is a prayer of action - the times when we scrimp and save in order to get the children something special; the times when we share our car with others on rainy mornings, leaving early to get them to work on time; the times when we keep up correspondence with friends or answer one last telephone call when we are dead tired at night. These times and many more like them are lived prayer.


-RICHARD J. FOSTER in Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home

1 comment:

Tuatha of the Isles said...

That is really special. I would like to think that is true. I know it makes me feel better after reading it.

I feel constantly compelled to do things that are good beyond what I am capable of doing, stretching myself. Some people can say why do you do it, how do you do it but I know no other way.

Its not something you often see people do but it is something I have to do because it needs to be done. I rarely think of it but this insight helps.

Some people do this but not enough.

To do things for no reward, just because you know it is the right thing to do.